All the news that's fit to print.

In the Heart of the Blackland Divide

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Arson Suspected in Fires at Treviño Residence

The Treviño residence at 211 Cypress Street.
Roscoe Police Chief Felix Pantoja suspects arson as the cause of the fire that broke out early Friday morning at the home of Silvia Treviño at 211 Cypress Street, just across the street from the Methodist Church.  It was the second fire at the residence in the past two weeks. 

The most recent one started on the north side of the house and caused extensive smoke and other damage inside, while the first was in the garage.  Both fires appear to have been set, and police have evidence that leads them to believe that neither was accidental.  

Roscoe Police Officer Les Soles is in charge of the investigation.  He is also investigating as a possibly related case the fire that destroyed the Armando Renteria residence at 110 Ash Street on February 5.

Anyone with information about any of these fires should call City Hall at 325-766-3871 or Crime Stoppers at 325-235-8477.  There is the possibility of a cash reward.  You need not give your name.



Larry Black
Central Rolling Plains Co-op Gin Manager Larry Black recently was elected president of the Texas Agricultural Cooperative Council. The council is composed of nearly 200 Texas cooperatives representing interests including telephone, rural electric, cotton, citrus, sugar and dairy.

Black came to Roscoe in 2002 to manage the Roscoe Co-op, which became the Central Rolling Plains Co-op after he led the merger of the Roscoe and Inadale Co-ops in 2007.

Recently, he has also upgraded the gin by installing the latest state-of-the-art technology.



Roscoe’s four newest businesses will have their official Grand Openings and Ribbon Cutting ceremonies on Friday morning.  The festivities proceed in this order:

1.    Burritos Zacatecas                  108 S. Main St.          9:30am
2.    Rockin’ S Cantina                    810 12th St.              10:00am
3.    Peppy’s                                        210 S. Main St.         10:30am
4.    McVey’s Native Nursery     300 N. Ash St.           11:00am

The times listed above are approximations as each ceremony will take about a half hour, but celebrants will move on to the next business as soon as the previous one is finished.



The Despicablimp
If you looked up into the sky just above I-20 on Easter Sunday at about 3:30, you may have seen a slowly moving blimp emblazoned with the mammoth image of a one-eyed yellow creature.

The 165-foot-long craft, which was slowly making its way eastward at low altitude along the Interstate, displayed the image of a “minion,” one of the jabbering pill-shaped beings featured in Universal Pictures’ “Despicable Me” movie series.

Universal and Van Wagner Communications, the owner of the airship, call it the “Despicablimp.”  The 55-foot-tall dirigible is touring the United States promoting the upcoming release of “Despicable Me 2,” opening on July 3. 

The blimp began its journey in Los Angeles on March 23 and stayed overnight Sunday at Avenger Field between Roscoe and Sweetwater before continuing its journey eastward. 



The Plowboys and Plowgirls both finished fifth in their respective divisions out of eighteen schools that participated in the Double Mountain Relays at Aspermont last weekend.  Sheldon Hall of Highland was also there and won the 800 meter race with a time of 2:04.87.

Here are those individuals or teams that finished in the top three of their event:

     Event                   Place          Contestant                  Time
     400m relay           2               Plowboys                    45.92
     400m                       1               Eduardo Gallegos    53.95
     1600m                     2               Jesus Leanos             5:07.67
     1600m relay         3              Plowboys                     3:41.79
     300m hurdles      3              Olivia Saddler            53.24
     1600m relay         3              Plowgirls                      4:39.93

Next up for the Plowboys and Plowgirls are the Lone Wolf Relays tomorrow in Colorado City.



Marble-sized hail in my front yard on Friday.
When it comes to the weather, Roscoe had a little bit of everything this past week: rain, hail, mist, heat, cold, sunshine, grey skies, calm, and breezes from every direction—even wind from the east.  

On Friday afternoon, a shower came from the southwest and rained more on areas south of town.  Farms north of town got only a trace, if that.  My rain gauge here in town registered .36 of an inch.  That shower concluded with marble-sized hail that fell long enough to just about cover the ground.

Then, Saturday afternoon was warm enough that air conditioners were kicking on here and there around town.  The high was 86°F, but, despite the heat, it was a pretty day.  Easter Sunday was cooler, and the early morning was chilly and windy, but the breeze died down to nothing in the afternoon, and the result was weather just about as beautiful as you could hope for on Easter.  The high temperature was 75°.

Monday was warm again with a high of 84°, and that night there were big clouds just to the north of us.  They put on quite a lightning show in the north and northeast, and places in Fisher County got good rains, but there was nothing here.

Yesterday another cold front arrived in the morning, and the high of 67° came sometime during the night.  The wind came from the east and northeast all day, and skies were grey with a cold mist falling most of the afternoon with temperatures dropping down to 40°.

There was a 70% chance of rain last night, but the wall of clouds made up just to the east of us, and it appears that we were a part of the remaining 30% of no rain, although the forecasters are saying there’s still a 50% chance of precipitation today.

Tonight should see the weather clearing with temperatures dropping down into the low thirties.  The rest of the week should bring sunny skies and a return to warmer spring temperatures.



Funeral services for Martha E. Neves, 61, were held in the Wright Colonial Funeral Home Chapel in Snyder at 2:00pm on Monday, followed by interment in the Roscoe Cemetery.  She passed away in Snyder on Thursday, March 28.

Martha was born on August 10, 1951, in Big Spring to Gail and Darlene Baker and married Norman Neves, on April 19, 1968, in Sweetwater.  She was a housewife and active with the Boy Scouts, Band Boosters, Tennis Boosters, and Snyder Day Care.

Survivors include her husband, Norman Neves of Snyder; son, Eric Neves of Snyder; daughter, Cynthia Wagner of Florida; mother-in-law, Hazel Neves of Snyder; three sisters, Betty Christie of Snyder, Mary Groeber and Linda McBroom, both of Oklahoma; five brothers, Danny Baker of Snyder, Gail and Robert Baker, both of Texas, and Freddy and Don Baker, both of Oklahoma; eleven grandchildren and extended grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive