All the news that's fit to print.

In the Heart of the Blackland Divide

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Let's Celebrate! City's "Spring Fling" is Saturday

Rance Norton and the Cadillac Cowboys
The City of Roscoe will celebrate the coming of Spring this Saturday with its fourth annual Spring Fling downtown. 

Highlights include street vendors on Cypress Street and Broadway, a kids’ area with a bounce house and other inflatables in Old Town Park, a chili cookoff at the Lumberyard, a street dance “on the bricks” with country music star Rance Norton and band playing traditional country music, and a fireworks show to top it all off. 

The Third Annual “Screw Terlingua" Chili Cookoff will kick the day off with visitors able to sample different teams’ chili with $1 tasting tickets beginning at about noon.  Street vendors will be plying their wares in the afternoon while kids enjoy themselves in the bounce houses located in the downtown parks.  The Roscoe Historical Museum will also be open for guests.

The free concert and street dance with Rance Norton and the Cadillac Cowboys will begin at about 7:00pm and continue to 9:30.  The fireworks show will begin shortly thereafter and conclude the day’s events.   

Those who aren’t ready to stop celebrating at 10:00 can continue at the Lumberyard, where TJ Broscoff and band will be playing on the outdoor stage with no cover charge. 

The Lumberyard will actually begin its festivities the night before with the return of the Zach Harmon band on the outdoor stage starting at 9:00pm.  Cover charge is $5. 

Given decent weather, it should be a great weekend with plenty of music, activities, and opportunity of fun for all.



Mule Butt Chili came in last in last year's Chili Cookoff.
The Third Annual “Screw Terlingua” Chili Cookoff will take place in the yard of the Lumberyard on 7 Cypress Street.  Check-in and set-up begins Saturday morning at 8:00am and cooking begins at 9:00.  By 12:00-1:00pm visitors will be able to visit the team sites and sample their chili by buying $1 tasting tickets with proceeds going to Open Door Day Care.  

There will also be a Salsa contest as well two mixed-drink contests: Bloody Mary and Margarita.  These may be sampled without tickets, although contributions are encouraged.

Judging will take place at 2:00pm with the announcement of winners and presentation of awards at 3:45pm.  Plaques will be awarded for first, second, and third places as well as a showmanship award in the Chili Cookoff.  Salsa, Bloody Mary, and Margarita plaques will go to the winner of each of those events.

Entry fees for the Chili Cookoff are $25, and $10 each for the Salsa, Bloody Mary, and Margarita contests.  Proceeds will benefit the Open Door Day Care Center.

Entry forms and information about rules and regulations are available at the Lumberyard, Roscoe City Hall, and the Rockin’ S Cantina.  For more information, contact City Hall at 325-766-3871 or the Lumberyard at 325-766-2457.



Max Nemir won the 300 meter hurdles at the Area Meet.
Several Plowboys and Plowgirls did well enough at last week’s Area Meet at Highland to advance to the Regional 1A-II Track and Field Meet at Angelo State University in San Angelo this weekend.

In order to qualify for regional, individual athletes or relay teams had to finish in the top four of their event in the Area Meet held at Highland last week.  Here is a list of the Plowboys who did:

Event                           Place             Athlete                          Time
1600 meter run             2            Jesus Leanos                5:08.60
3200 meter run             2            Jesus Leanos              10:46.79
400 meter dash             2            Kevin Lavalais                 52.35
800 meter run                3            Braiden Moore            2:09.50
300 meter hurdles        1            Max Nemir                        41.70
4 x 100 meter relay      3            Plowboys                          45.09
    Dillon Freeman, Kevin Lavalais, Max Nemir, Shelton Toliver
4 x 400 meter relay      3            Plowboys                      3:32.70
    Max Nemir, Kevin Lavalais, Braiden Moore, Shelton Toliver

As a team, the Plowboys finished fifth of fourteen schools with a total of 71 points.

The Plowgirls' relay team won one first and two seconds at the Area Meet. Left to right: Olivia Saddler, Eva Aguayo, Whitney Williams, Lyndi Wilkinson.

Event                              Place           Athlete              Time/Distance
1600 meter run               4             Alejandra Solis              6:16.50
800 meter run                  4             Danielle Dean               2:44.90
4 x 100 meter relay        2             Plowgirls                            52.84

       L. Wilkinson, W. Williams, O. Saddler, E. Aguayo
4 x 200 meter relay       1            Plowgirls                           1:51.73
       L. Wilkinson, W. Williams, O. Saddler, E. Aguayo
4 x 400 meter relay       2              Plowgirls                        4:17.40
       W. Williams, L. Wilkinson, O. Saddler, E. Aguayo
Pole Vault                           4              Magali Casas                      7’ 0”

The Plowgirls finished fourth of fourteen schools with a total of 67 points.



Last Tuesday, Roscoe Police made another bust, this one on I-20.  Officer Steven Spencer pulled over a woman from Odessa and, while interviewing her, became convinced that criminal activity was taking place.  He did a probable-cause search of the vehicle and located a large bundle, which he presumed was illegal contraband since he found it in an area that is naturally void.  He detained the woman, and the vehicle was taken to the Roscoe Police Department. 

The contraband in the bundle turned out to be over $20,000 in cash, whereupon the woman was charged with money laundering and booked into the Nolan County Jail.  An investigation into the source and destination of the money is currently underway.

This was the second large currency seizure in a month for Officer Spencer and the Roscoe Police Department.



Even the old mesquite trees have budded out.
Although forecasters gave the Roscoe area a 40% to 50% chance of rain on Saturday evening and during the day on Sunday, all that happened was a light sprinkling too little to measure around midnight Saturday night.  Temperatures up through Sunday were cooler than normal with highs in the sixties and mid seventies and lows in the fifties. 

Since Monday, however, it’s been sunny and warmer.  Monday’s high was 87°F, and yesterday’s was 85°.  Today’s is forecast to get up to 88° with a 30% chance of rain this afternoon and 40% this evening.  The low will continue to be around sixty, as it has for the past few days.  The outlook for the weekend is for highs around 92° or 93° with a 30% chance of rain Saturday evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive