All the news that's fit to print.

In the Heart of the Blackland Divide

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Plowboys Ambush Menard 49-13, Win District

Javier Leaños (4) catches a pass en route to a TD against Menard. (Photo by Patrick Dove-San Angelo Standard-Times)
Last Friday evening you couldn’t blame Menard fans for expecting their 7-1 Yellow Jackets to take down the upstart 4-4 Plowboys. After all, Menard’s only loss, 15-13 to Baird, came in their second game of the year and was decided by just two points. Since that time they had won six games in a row, many by a wide margin, and were 3-0 in district play. Besides, they were playing on their own home turf, so there were plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Consequently, the game’s first quarter must have come as something of a shock to them. Mixing an explosive passing game with effective runs, the Plowboys scored touchdowns on their first four drives, and by quarter’s end led by three touchdowns.

The Plowboys started fast. After receiving the kickoff, they scored on just the second play from scrimmage when quarterback Brayden Beal hit Kevin Lavalais for a TD on a 41-yard pass play to put the Plowboys up 7-0. They scored again on their next possession when Beal hit Javier Leaños on a play that covered 49 yards. The third touchdown was also a Beal to Leaños pass, this one for 16 yards, extending the Plowboys’ lead to 21-0. Then Menard completed a drive of their own with a 4-yard touchdown run that narrowed the score to 21-7. However, shortly before the end of the quarter, Vincent Pantoja scored his first TD of the evening on a 4-yard run, and the Plowboys were once again ahead by three scores, 28-7.

In the second quarter they added another TD on another 4-yard run by Pantoja while holding the Yellow Jackets scoreless, and at halftime were up 35-7. For all practical purposes, the eventual outcome was already clear and the game essentially over.

In the third quarter, the Plowboy defense once again kept the Yellow Jackets out of the end zone, while Beal hit Jose Ortega on a 5-yard scoring pass to make the score 42-7. In the fourth, Menard got another touchdown to make it 42-13, but Pantoja also scored on a 1-yard run, making the final score 49-13.

For the evening, Beal completed 12 of 20 passes for 197 yards and 4 TDs with no interceptions. Top receivers were Leaños with 4 receptions for 93 yards and 2 TDs, Lavalais with 2 receptions for 50 yards and 1 TD, and Ortega with 4 catches for 27 yards and 1 TD. Max Nemir had a catch for 15 yards, and Pantoja had one for 12. Erick Huidobro was perfect with 7 for 7 extra-point kicks.

Pantoja was the top rusher with 26 carries for 142 yards and 3 TDs, followed by Beal with 13 carries for 66 yards, Nemir 3 for 16, Rafael Aguayo 2 for 7, Ortega 2 for 3, and Francisco Garcia with 1 for 6.

Top defensive players were Aguayo with 10 tackles and 6 assists, Garcia with 6 tackles and 3 assists, Ray Bohall and Nemir, each with 4 tackles and 1 assist, Lavalais with 3 tackles along with 2 interceptions, and several others with 1 or 2 tackles.

The Plowboys racked up 437 total yards, 240 by rushing and 197 by passing, compared to Menard’s 175 total yards, 114 by rushing and 61 by passing. Roscoe also had 21 first downs to Menard’s 10.

The victory makes the Plowboys outright district champs. Their first playoff game will be with the loser of the Eldorado-Irion County game.

But before that happens, the Plowboys will wind up their regular season here in Roscoe on Friday when they play district foe Bronte. The Longhorns are 4-5 on the year and 2-2 in district play. They are coming off consecutive wins over Winters 33-8 and Roby 28-6, so the Plowboys will need a good game to beat them.

Kickoff is at 7:30pm.



Vickie's Gifts was full of shoppers at last year's Christmas Open House.
Christmas Open House, the popular Sunday afternoon shopping event that launches local merchants and shoppers into the holiday season, is back. Between 1:00 and 5:00pm, it will include most of Roscoe’s downtown businesses: Vickie’s Gifts, Wildflower Boutique, Southern Belle Salon, Roscoe Thrift Store, the Rockin’ S Cantina, McVey’s Nursery, Main Street Antiques, Peppy’s, and the Lumberyard.

The event features shopping, refreshments, and a drawing for a grand prize worth over $600 made up of items from each of the businesses. Shoppers will receive cards at any participating business and complete them by getting them stamped there and at all the others. They will then submit them at the Lumberyard on 7 Cypress Street for the drawing to be held there at 5:00pm.

The Rockin’ S Cantina, a liquor store and gift shop, will set up its gift selections temporarily at 801 Broadway (the old Smacker’s Café on the corner of Broadway and Main) because liquor stores can’t be open on Sunday.

The Roscoe Express shuttle will operate all afternoon carrying visitors from one business to the next at no charge.


The Roscoe Police Department will host a presentation for business owners and the general public on the new Texas Open Carry firearms law that goes into effect on January 1, 2016.

Janna Atkins from the West Central Texas Regional Law Enforcement Academy in Abilene will be the guest speaker.

The meeting will be held in the Roscoe Community Center tomorrow, November 5, from 10:00 to 11:00am. There is no charge to attend, and everyone is invited.


The Roscoe Lions Club, officially chartered on October 13, has named its officers:

President:  Shane Tomlin
Vice President: Wes Williams
Secretary/Treasurer:  Chris Hartman
Membership Chairman: Jason Freeman

Meetings are held from noon to 1pm on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at the Roscoe Community Center. If you are interested in becoming a member, now is the time to do it! Please contact one of the officers above or just come to one of the bi-monthly meetings.

The Club will host its “Charter Night” on Thursday, November 12, at 6pm at the Community Center. It will receive its official Charter from the Lions Club District Governor. Tickets are $10 per person and dinner will be served at 6:30pm. All members and anyone interested in the Roscoe Lions Club are invited. RSVP’s are requested by this Friday, November 6. Please send RSVP to Shane Tomlin at 325-235-6992 or


A Pancake Supper in the Roscoe School Cafetorium before the football game this Friday, November 6, from 5:30-7:30pm will benefit the Roscoe FFA and 4-H programs. Members are also selling raffle tickets for a Yeti Hopper. The winner will be announced at the football game.

Prices are $5 for kids 9 and under and $8 for everyone else. 


Skies were clear at yesterday's sunset.
The predicted rain for Friday came, but it wasn’t as bad as some had feared or as good as others had hoped for. Most of the people I talked to got around a half-inch, some more, some less, depending on the area. I had .66” in my rain gauge, and the official total for Roscoe recorded by Kenny Landfried was .61”.

After the sky cleared, we had several beautiful fall days with sunshine and light breezes. Halloween was a perfect evening for the kids to be out. Weekend temperatures had highs in the low seventies and lows in the mid to low fifties. On Monday, the winds shifted to the south, and the high rose to 82°. Yesterday’s high was just a bit cooler at 79°, and winds were blustery with gusts up to 28mph. Today will be a bit cooler with a forecast high of only 73°.

We may get some more rain tonight or tomorrow. Chances for tonight are 40%, increasing to 50% during the day tomorrow. A cool front will then move in and clear the skies until Friday night when we get a 30% chance for rain continuing through the day on Saturday and then falling to 20% Saturday night. After that we’ll get clear skies again with somewhat cooler temperatures—highs in the sixties and lows in the upper forties and low fifties into early next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive