All the news that's fit to print.

In the Heart of the Blackland Divide

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

RCISD School Bond Election Saturday

Election Day on the proposed bond for an Early Childhood Center is this Saturday, May 7. Voting will take place from 7:00am to 7:00pm in the Roscoe School Cafetorium for registered voters who live in the Roscoe Collegiate Independent School District (RCISD). Early voting terminated at 5:00pm yesterday. Voters must present a photo ID in order to receive a ballot.

If the Early Childhood Center is approved by voters, it will be located on school property across from the Elementary School and will come at a cost of $5 million on a 25-year payout at a fixed rate, which works out to an annual tax increase of $52.50 per year per $100,000 home valuation.

Superintendent Kim Alexander has presented the case for the new facility because of the ever-growing student enrollment at RCISD and the corresponding space constraints, as well as a proposed change to the Montessori system of instruction, which includes a move from a half to a full day for Pre-K students. The school is already recognized as a state and national leader in both college and career readiness, and improving the critical early levels will result in even greater success for our students as they gear up to compete in a global economy.



One Plowboy, Kevin Lavalais, and one Plowgirl, Bonnie Wilkinson, qualified for the State Track Meet with their performances at the Regional I-2A meet at Ratliff Stadium in Odessa this past weekend. Two others, Max Nemir and Lyndi Wilkinson, came close but didn’t quite manage to get there.

Lavalais finished second in the 100 meter dash to Mark Adams of New Deal with a time of 11.21, and Bonnie Wilkinson was runner-up to Haevyn Risley of Canadian in the 400 meters with a time of 60.43. Nemir had his best run of the year in the 300 hurdles with a time of 40.57, which would have qualified him for state in a different region, but in Region I it was only good enough for fourth place. Lyndi Wilkinson also finished fourth in the 400 with a time of 62.07.

The State Meet will be next weekend, May 13 and 14, in Austin.



Plowboys and Plowgirls receiving awards at the annual RCHS Athletic Banquet last Thursday evening are as follows:

Plowboy of the Year in Football – Kevin Lavalais

Football Fighting Heart – Max Nemir

Plowboy of the Year in Basketball – Javier LeaƱos

Basketball Defensive Player of the Year – Brayden Beal

Plowboy of the Year in Track – Max Nemir

Plowboy of the Year in Powerlifting – Matt Buckley

Britt Paty Memorial Scholarship – Vincent Pantoja

Clyde Jay Memorial Scholarship – Ray Bohall

Charles and Verla Ratliff Memorial Scholarship – Rafael Aguayo

Plowgirl of the Year in Basketball – Veronica Cuellar

Basketball Defensive Player of the Year – Bergan Trevino

Fighting Heart Award – Karina Cisneros

Clyde Jay Memorial Scholarship – Brena Robison



President Steve Moore addresses members at last night's meeting.
The Central Rolling Plains Co-op held its annual membership meeting with a barbecue supper and door prizes at the Roscoe School Cafetorium last night. Items of business included the manager’s report, regional reports, audit report, and election of three directors and two advisory board members. Dividend and equity retirement checks were handed out at the end of the meeting.

There were two elections.  Steve Moore, Ralph Stirl, and Scott Etheredge were re-elected to three-year terms on the Senior Board, and James Parrott and Roddy Alexander were elected to one-year terms on the Advisory Board.

The $100 prize of the annual bale guess in which members at the Co-op Gin’s Open House in October guess how many bales the gin will produce was won by Garrison Williams, whose guess of 75,492 was the closest without exceeding the actual amount of 75,636.

Shareholders who did not pick up their checks last night may get them at the Co-op office on 102 Pecan Street until 5:00pm on Friday, after which time they will be mailed out.

Co-op members filled the Cafetorium at last night's meeting.


Barbara and Kenneth Reed
Kenneth and Barbara (Karonika) Reed were honored with a party at the Roscoe Community Center on Saturday night on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary. Lyndall Underwood and the Dusty Creek Band provided musical entertainment and a full house of well-wishers was treated to a barbecue supper.



The RHS 2016 Homecoming Committee will have its initial meeting tomorrow, May 5, at 6:00pm at 1509 Vards Lane in Sweetwater. Anyone interested in helping is welcome.

For more information, contact Teresa McFaul Watson or Connie Baize.



Another big weekend is on tap for the Lumberyard with two great bands. On Friday night, Lonestar will play in Roscoe for the first time, and on Saturday, the Turnpike Troubadours return for an encore performance.

Lonestar is a band of Texans who met in Nashville in the early nineties. Over the years they have come up with a string of hits that has left an indelible mark on country music. They have also produced twelve albums, the most recent being Life as We Know It (2013) and their latest, Never Enders (2016), which was recorded this spring and due for release this past weekend.

Starting with “No News” in 1995, they have had nine #1 songs on the Country Music charts. “Come Crying to Me,” “Amazed” (a crossover hit that also was #1 on the Billboard’s Top 100), “Smile,” “What About Now,” “Tell Her,” “I’m Already There,” “My Front Porch Looking In,” and “Mr. Mom,” along with several others that made the Top Ten, such as “Not a Day Goes By,” “Let’s Be Us Again,” “You’re Like Coming Home,” “Walking In Memphis,” and “Mountains.”

Turnpike Troubadours
On Saturday, the “Red Dirt” Turnpike Troubadours will be the Lumberyard’s featured act. Originally from Oklahoma, they were influenced by Cross Canadian Ragweed and Jason Boland but have since developed their own distinctive sound. From their Oklahoma beginnings, they have worked their way up from small clubs to sellout crowds in such major music venues as Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa, the Firehouse Saloon in Houston, and Antone’s in Austin. They have three studio albums: Bossier City, Diamonds & Gasoline, and Goodbye Normal Street. Popular singles include “Before the Devil Knows We’re Dead,” “Down Here,” “Long Hot Summer Day,” and “Gin, Smoke, and Lies.”

For more information or reservations, contact the Lumberyard at 325-766-2457.



Yesterday's sunset.
Although the past week began as fairly normal on Thursday and Friday, a cool front blew in early Saturday with sharp breezes, making the weekend a cool one. Temperatures dropped from a high of 85°F on Friday to 75° on Saturday, 62° on Sunday, and 67° on Monday. Lows dropped on those days into the mid to upper forties with the coolest being 46° on Monday, and an extra quilt was in order for sleeping. Yesterday warmed up to 75° for the high but then we got some weather from the northwest that immediately dropped it back down into the lower sixties. We got a sprinkle out of the change but nothing more.

The next few days, however will be more normal for early May. In fact, today’s projected high of 81° should be the coolest maximum we’ll have for the coming week. Tomorrow, Friday, and the weekend through Monday are forecast to have highs in the mid-eighties and lows in the low sixties.

There is currently a prediction of an 80% chance of rain on Sunday night.  This time last week, however, we were being given an 80% chance of rain on Monday, but by Saturday, the weathermen had changed their minds and dropped it to only 20%. As it turned out, we got nothing more than a sprinkle. So, who knows whether we’ll get rain Sunday night? We’ll just have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive