All the news that's fit to print.

In the Heart of the Blackland Divide

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

City Election on Saturday

Roscoe Community Center
Roscoe voters will decide on two of four candidates for the City Council and the approval of a $25,212,000 bond for renovation and expansion of the Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital this Saturday, May 10, at the Community Center.  Also on the ballot will be a vote to renew the 0.25% city sales tax for street maintenance and repair.
The two open seats on the City Council are those of Council members Virgil Pruitt and Helen Perry, whose three-year terms are expiring.  Pruitt has chosen not to run for re-election, but Perry will.  The four candidates are incumbent Helen Perry, former Council members Ken Brawley and Billy Joe Jay, and Enez Ensenia.

Proposed improvements to Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital include renovations to 18,995 square feet and new space of 21,286 square feet.  These include new labor and delivery rooms, renovations to the OR and ICU, a new obstetrics department, MRI space to allow in-house access and “open” MRI capability, front entry upgrades to make them ADA accessible, an outpatient dialysis unit center, a new emergency generator, and the installation of a hospital-wide nurse/patient call system. 

Voting hours on Saturday are 7:00am-7:00pm.  For more information, contact City Hall at 325-766-3871.



Raul Rodriguez
Raul Martinez Rodriguez, 30, an illegal alien who has been living and working in and around Roscoe, is being sought by local law enforcement for shooting at someone with a pistol during an assault on April 26. 

This is the second time Rodriguez has used a gun during a confrontation.  The first was last June after an altercation at a birthday party at the Community Center, when he fired several shots at a vehicle on Fourth and Cypress Streets.  He then led local police on a car chase which culminated on I-20 west of Loraine, where he was arrested and taken into custody.  He was subsequently deported to Mexico, but recently returned.  He is currently wanted for an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) investigation.

Rodriguez is 5’ 7” tall, 140 pounds, and of medium build. He is known to be armed, and law enforcement officers have been instructed to exercise extreme caution in approaching him.  He is believed to still be in the Roscoe, Sweetwater, Colorado City area.

Anyone with knowledge of his whereabouts should contact the Roscoe Police Department at 325-766-3114 or 325-514-8384.  Police want to remind everyone that anyone found to be aiding, abetting, transporting, or assisting in his eluding of law enforcement will also be prosecuted.



Students, parents, and coaches were on hand at the RCHS Athletic Banquet in the Cafetorium Friday evening to see the annual awards bestowed on Plowboys and Plowgirls for the various school sports.

Plowboys of the Year:
Football – Shelton Toliver
Basketball – Jesus Leanos
Track – Jesus Leanos
Cross Country – Braiden Moore
Powerlifting – Ray Bohall

Plowgirls of the Year:
Basketball – Eva Aguayo
Track – Eva Aguayo, Olivia Saddler, Whitney Williams, Lyndi Wilkinson
Cross Country – Alejandra Solis
Powerlifting – Ashley Lara

Charles and Verla Ratliff Spirit Award – Whitney Williams
Clyde Jay Memorial Scholarship – Eva Aguayo and Jesus Leanos
Britt Paty Award – Jesus Leanos
Fighting Heart Award – Whitney Williams and Dillon Freeman



Several High School and Junior High students received honors and awards at the annual Academic Banquet held last Thursday evening in the Roscoe School Cafetorium. 

These are the students who are graduating this year with Associate’s Degrees from Western Texas College:
Eva Aguayo, Hidelberto Arce, Valerie Avalos, Shelby Brown, Jacinda Cedillo, Amber Craig, Rene Diaz, Dillon Freeman, Brittany Green, Shelby Higgins, Jesus Leanos, Zackary Longoria, Harlene Mraz, Ashton Payne, Adam Pope, Shelton Toliver, Whitney Williams.

One boy and one girl from each grade received awards for Best All-Around Student and for Outstanding Work Ethic:

Senior Best All-Around: Jesus Leanos and Whitney Williams
Outstanding Work Ethic: Adam Pope and Amber Craig
Junior Best All-Around: Chase Cathey and Korie Rogers
Outstanding Work Ethic: Chase Cathey and Jesenia Pena

Sophomore Best All-Around: Isaiah Gonzales and Cassandra Chavira
Outstanding Work Ethic: Rafael Aguayo and Victoria Jimenez

Freshman Best All-Around: Braiden Moore and Karina Cisneros
Outstanding Work Ethic: Johnathan Cuellar and Bergan Trevino

8th Grade Best All-Around: Parker Payne and Murissa Horton
Outstanding Work Ethic: Jose Chavira and Morgan Bowers

7th Grade Best All-Around: Aaron Thomas and Madison Mims
Outstanding Work Ethic: Ethan Morris and Veronica Cuellar

High School Class Awards went to the following:

Algebra I: Braiden Moore
Algebra II: Isaiah Gonzales
Biology: Crystal Guzman
Chemistry: Kacie Shaw
Computer Programming: Austin Willman
Desktop Publishing/Digital Media: Victoria Jimenez
Economics: Whitney Williams
English I: Crystal Guzman
English II: Teresa Herrera
Geometry: Teresa Herrera
Physics: Chance Overton
Robotics: Antonio Gallegos
Spanish I: Caleb Ward
Spanish II: Isaiah Gonzales
STEM: Rene Diaz
Vet Med Applications: Karina Cisneros
Web Tech: Ashley Lara
World Geography: Caleb Ward
World History: Teresa Herrera
9th AVID: Alyssa Chavez
10th AVID: Heather Hill
11th AVID: Jesenia Pena
12th AVID: Amber Craig

College Class Awards went to the following:

Biology 2401-2402: Eva Aguayo
Physics 1401-1402: Korie Rogers
Psychology 1300: Lyndi Wilkinson
Music 1306: Caleb Ward
Welding 1313: Kenneth Bohall
Welding 1428: Matthew Davila
Agri 1419: Jesus Leanos
Spanish 1412: Korie Rogers
Kine 1238: Selena Perez
English 1301: Korie Rogers
English 1302: Makayla Porter
History 1301: Chase Cathey
History 1302: Matthew Davila
Psychology 2301: Eva Aguayo
Government 2305: Whitney Williams
Government 2306: Shelton Toliver
Speech 1315: Roman Acuna
Math 1314: Chase Cathey
English 2322: Eva Aguayo
English 2311: Rene Diaz
BCIS 1405: Victoria Jimenez



Co-op President Larry Williams addresses the members at last night's meeting.
The Central Rolling Plains Co-op treated its stockholders to a barbecue dinner last night at the Roscoe School Cafetorium.  Items of business included the manager’s report, regional reports, audit report and the election of two directors, Ricky Bowman and Rolan Petty, and two members to serve on the newly created Junior Board, Scott Etheredge and James Parrott.

At the Co-op’s Open House at the gin last fall, members were challenged to guess the number of bales the gin would produce for the year with a $100 prize going to the person getting the closest without going over the actual amount.  The winner of that challenge was Leslie Rannefeld, who guessed 71,600 bales.  The final total for the year was 71,849.

Dividend checks and equity retirement checks were also distributed and door prizes awarded. 

Stockholders who were unable to attend last night's meeting may pick up their checks at the Co-op office at 102 Pecan St. until next Wednesday, May 14.



Sultry Sunset
Roscoe got its first hundred-degree day this year on Monday when the mercury soared to 101°F, but the summerlike heat really began on Saturday and has been with us ever since.  Highs since Saturday have all been above 90° with the two hottest days Monday and yesterday, when the high was 98°.  The evenings have been nice, though, and the John Conlee show at the Lumberyard on Friday and the free concert and street dance at the Cinco de Mayo celebration on Saturday were just about as nice as you could ask for. 

Once again we have a chance for rain.  There is a 30% chance this afternoon that increases to 50% tonight and then falls to 20% tomorrow.  Other than that, though, we can expect the coming week to be similar to last week with lots of sunshine, highs of around ninety, lows around sixty, and 15-20mph winds.



Funeral services were held on Saturday, May 3, at McCoy Chapel of Memories for Christopher Limones, 29, who died on April 29 in a one-vehicle accident in Irion County.  Interment was in the Roscoe Cemetery.

Chris was born on June 27, 1984, in Sidney, Montana.  He lived in Roscoe most of his life and was a graduate of Roscoe High School.  He played Plowboy football and was on the Power Lifting Team.  He was employed by Select Energy Company, and he was a Catholic.

Survivors include his parents, Santos and Nester Limones of Roscoe; grandfather, Frank Limones of Sweetwater; sons, Gaven and Caleb Martinez of Sweetwater; numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins.

He was preceded in death by his paternal grandmother, Gumecinda “Cindy” Deloera Limones and his maternal grandparents, Simona and Jesse Arenas.

Pallbearers were Larry Morales, Artoro Medellin, Joe Avalos, Refugio Vera, Jr., Raymond Gonzales, Jr., and Brandon Bromley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive